Sunday, June 25, 2017

Travel Blog 1: Travel Essentials

I work at a hospital doing admissions in the ER, as well as work in an Auxiliary unit for the local police department. I live in a tourist town that sees people from all over the world. One thing that amazes me is that people leave at home (either their real home in another state or country or where they are staying on their trip) so many IMPORTANT things that are needed by medical facilities and/or police and fire agencies.

While traveling is fun and everyone should enjoy their vacation, there are some very IMPORTANT things you need to pack and KEEP ON YOU while you travel. Don't leave them at home on the kitchen counter or in your hotel room or lodging facility.

1) Your photo ID (in the US a drivers license and/or passport. from foreign countries your passport).

2) Your HEALTH insurance card - this is VERY important because most hospitals cannot "look up your insurance with such and such carrier." They must have the card that shows the name of the health insurance carrier and the member ID number. Otherwise, if you don't have it, they will more than likely put you in as a self pay. This is much harder to get the insurance company to pay after the fact than having your card with you at the time. 

3) Your ALLERGY alert list or bracelet (or both) - preferably with your health insurance card in your wallet. You don't want the hospital guessing what you are and aren't allergic too if you are unconscious. 

4) Current list of Medications you are taking or the prescription bottles themselves, as well as over the counter drugs you take. This will help the medical staff to know what they can and can't use on you due to side affects from your medications. 

Should an unexpected accident on your vacation happen, which I hope it doesn't, these 4 things are the most important to have at all times. 

Some other items that should be on your list before you travel:

A) Car Insurance - please make sure you bring your car insurance card (whether driving your own vehicle or a rental vehicle) and have your vehicle registration (if driving your own vehicle)

B) Travel insurance (especially if you are traveling to a foreign country)

C) Roadside Assistance insurance of some kind - for vehicle emergencies.

D) Flight insurance - many Medical Helicopter Services have flight memberships that will cover your flight if needed or work with your insurance carrier to cover the flight. Some insurances cover flights as well. Check and see what your insurance covers in case you need the use of a medical helicopter. I know here is Colorado - North Colorado Medevac has a membership service and it partners with other services across the US. Also - Life Flight Eagle in the KC Metro area has a similar service.

While these items may sound like over kill or a kill joy to think about taking on your vacation, please consider the alternatives if you don't have the items. 

Happy Summer travels and enjoy your vacation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.