Monday, April 27, 2015

Jimmy

Every horseman will tell you there is the ONE. The one horse that taught them so much about themselves and gave them the most memories.

Jimmy was that horse for me.

I met him in 1993 when he came to the livery I worked at. I did not ride him that summer, he was “bronc-y” and while I thought he was an interesting horse, I only ever groomed him. He mostly stood on the guide rail unridden.

No one was sure exactly of his age but figured him to be 3-4 in 1993. He was 14 hands tall and a fireball. Most guests that saw him said, “Looks like a Morgan but I can’t tell what the other part is!” The most common idea is that he was 1/2 Morgan 1/2 Mustang. 

He came of the Navajo Reservation and has several brands on him (-N) (u2) (PTL) (UU)

In 1994, I started riding Jimmy. He was one you always had to be awake on. There was no sleeping! And I loved every minute of it. He taught me so very much about myself and about horses.

I rode him in 1995 and 1996 as well. And he was my best friend and confidant. I left the livery in 1997 – I promised him that I would come back for him and I never did because life got in the way and my dreams of owning him were shattered.








I have heard several different stories of what happened to him, I can only guess at the real ending.
It took me years and years of trial and errors with models trying to do one of him. It wasn’t until I saw Morgen Kilburn’s Johann that I knew.


Today – 22 years after I met him – the model in his honor is done. Thank you Morgen for helping me to bring my boy to life! 






No comments:

Post a Comment