Thursday, April 16, 2015

Skin Cancer

**PLEASE NOTE - Images may be disturbing to some - View at your own risk! **


In March of 2011 I went to my doctor about a spot on my forehead that was like a zit that would not heal. He sent me to a dermatologist who took one look and said THAT'S COMING OFF NOW. Immediate injection and a scalpel removed it. They tested it and it was positive for Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC)


In April of 2011, I went in for surgery to have the rest of it and the strand of runners it had produced removed. Thirty-two stitches later, it was all gone!


My face was swollen and bruised for several days and when asked what happened people were like WOW skin cancer did that - Yes and I had the "MILD" version. 


Now you can't even see the scar unless I point it out to people, but I can see it. I know it's there and it's my constant reminder. WEAR SUNSCREEN!


So every April I go get checked out and this April was no different. It was concerning because of a spot on my shoulder. With much review, I am happy to say the spot is just a mole and nothing more. I am skin cancer free!!

PLEASE PLEASE - no matter your skin color - wear sunscreen 50 or better, preferably with Zinc Oxide & Nanoparticles in it. Get moles that just appear and zits that won't seem to heal LOOKED AT IMMEDIATELY - as some forms of skin cancer are deadly! And wear sunscreen ALL YEAR AROUND! Reflective sun off snow can cause skin cancer just like being in the direct sun itself!






No comments:

Post a Comment